Monday, June 3, 2013

How to make a No-Sew Cheap Window Seat Pad!

 
How to Make a No-Sew Cheap Window Seat Pad!
 
In our playroom, under a pair of windows, we have a ledge built into the wall. As soon as we moved in, I envisioned it being a cozy reading spot with a cheerful cushion on it. I found a beautiful soft pink corduroy material with yellow dots and little green pears on it in the bargain section at the fabric store for less than $10, but as I started looking around at the cost of foam to make one I was shocked at how expensive it was! Rather than buy the size I needed from Michael's for over $50, I decided to DIY and use an inexpensive $13 foam egg crate type mattress pad from Target instead.

I cut it to size lengthwise, leaving it twice as wide as the actual window seat was so that I could fold it in half to make it thicker and more comfortable to sit on.
 
Using clips to keep the edge lined up, I used a needle and thread to make knots through the foam every 6 inches or so down the edge of the pad to keep both sides from coming apart.
I cut my fabric to size, leaving a two inch border on all sides, and placed the foam on top.
 
An inch from one edge, I used hot glue on the foam, immediately smoothing one edge of the fabric down on top to secure it.
 
I then pulled the fabric on both of the ends snugly around the pad (like wrapping a present) and glued them to the foam, folded the edge of the long piece and glued them together. The end seam I just folded over and glued to itself and the foam to secure it. 
 
 
In less than an hour, and for under $25, our new window seat was outfitted with a cute and comfy seat cushion and the munchkin was already cozied up reading on it!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment